Varieties of hosting services
A hosting service entails depositing and/or sharing given web content on a web server managed by a hosting company. There are various kinds of hosting services used for different aims, so let's examine these. Doing so, you can elect what you want, based on whether you'd like to own a blog, e-mailbox accounts, or to share files with chums and associates.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by certain vendors, which enables you to share big files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only purpose is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey a list of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free file hosting services are frequently supported by exhibiting ads by the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a certain period of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you get a paid file storage plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no restriction when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting providers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a totally inapt interpretation of the literal connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would distribute the load between separate bunches of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving different web site hosting services (electronic mail, web space, statistics, DNS, databases, webspace hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a type of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; certain corporations offer a hosting service for images exclusively. This hosting type is suitable if you want to share a great quantity of pictures with comrades or colleagues since the service is typically free of charge. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to administering your email aliases. Some suppliers provide web space hosting solutions for web pages, but do not offer an email service. If you desire to launch a mail address with your domain name but do not want to run a site, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can create e-mail box accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video file, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of using this method in lieu of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video creates a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with several video files and several hundred viewers, you may have a hard time with your hosting resources. Embedding the video file will permit you to keep as many videos as you desire without bothering about system resources.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you require if you wish to run a website. To a certain degree, it comprises all of the aforementioned hosting variants since, along with your websites, you can also host images and files, you can run databases and emails, upload video files, etc. At Free Hostia, for example, you can take a peek at web hosting and dedicated web hosting packages that allow you to have all of the abovementioned services in one location. There may be limitations depending on the form of hosting solution that you've selected - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web page hosting plan may be better or worse in comparison with the normal email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are planned for particular web content solely.